Thursday, January 21, 2016

Technique of the Week: Freezer Paper + Dies + Nuance

Since the contest we are running features Nuance (check out our last post for details on our contest), I thought I’d show you another fun way to use this great product.  This is an expanded version of the Technique of the Week from the Art 'n Soul weekly newsletter.  The blog allows us to add a few more pictures of the process used to create this fun card. 

by Pam Nelson
This week’s Technique of the Week was inspired by a posting on Kristina Werner’s blog which you can see at this link:  http://www.kwernerdesign.com/blog/?p=15432   Kristina die cut shapes from freezer paper, ironed them onto watercolor paper and then added color using her favorite watercolors.  After trying her technique I decided to use Nuance instead of watercolors and I was really pleased with the result. 

For this project you will need freezer paper, a die (I used Memory Box Happy Birthday Extravaganza #98765 in my example), watercolor paper (I used Tim Holtz paper), an iron and Nuance.

Just in case you have never used freezer paper, you can find it at the grocery store in the same area as wax paper and aluminum foil. There is a matte side and a shiny side to the paper.  The shiny side is coated with wax – you want to put the shiny side down when you die cut your shape.

        
After you have done your die cutting from the freezer paper, the next step is to adhere it to your watercolor paper using an iron.  I used my regular clothes iron set on “cotton”.  I did try both my craft iron and a laminator and neither of them got hot enough for this technique.  Gently start ironing the die cut to your paper (again being sure that the shiny, waxy side is against your paper.)  Once the die is initially adhered to your paper, use a firmer pressure on the iron.  The heat from the iron will melt the wax and adhere it to your paper.  I used the pointed part of the iron to go over all the little flowers and leaves from this die – you want to be sure the die cut it is firmly adhered to your paper.






Now you are ready to add Nuance.  In this example I used Scarlet, Red and Hot Pink.  I sprinkled the powders a bit more intensely over the die and just lightly around the edges so the color would be more intense in the center.  I sprayed with water mixed with Perfect Pearls and used a brush to move some of the color around so that the darkest color was over the die cut.  If you have any areas with too much water, just blot gently with a paper towel.


Set this aside and let it dry thoroughly.  After your piece is dry, you are ready to remove the die cut.  Gently heat your piece with your heat gun and this will start to melt the wax under the die cut.  Use a sharp tool such as an X-acto knife to gently begin lifting the die cut at one of the outer edges. Continue heating with the heat gun and lifting the die cut until it is completely removed and the white watercolor paper underneath is revealed. 







Now you are ready to finish your card.  In this example I adhered the watercolor paper to a piece of fun foam for added dimension and then layered onto two colors of card stock.  I added a few sequins and put a drop of glossy accents in the center of each sequin. 

I hope you have fun with this technique!

Products used:
Magenta Nuance: MNU005 Hot Pink; MNU010 Scarlet; MNU015 Red
Memory Box die 98765 Happy birthday Extravaganza
Tim Holtz watercolor paper
Freezer paper
Various sequins
Glossy Accents

1 comment:

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Please visit us again soon.