Thursday, April 20, 2017

Technique of the Week: Ultimate Recycling, Part 2, by Marj Marion


Last week in Part 1 of this “Technique of the Week” article, Marj shared a decorative idea for recycling the wood blocks that are left over after the rubber stamp has been removed.  Many of us are building up a large number of these wood blocks as we convert our stamps to cling to be used in the MISTI Stamp Positioning Tool. This week Marj shares three more practical ideas for repurposing these great pieces of wood.

SECOND IDEA:  When it’s time for an afternoon rest, I like to use my laptop on my bed!  Sometimes, I need to type a letter, copy some quotes from a book, or type directions for an Art ’n Soul technique!  I needed a stand-up support that doesn't tip over on the bed.


1.    Get an acrylic document holder from the office supply store.  Use a binder clip to attach the document to be typed out on the lap top.

2.    Take two empty wood stamp blocks, glue them together, and wrap them with decorative paper or contact paper.

3.    Use clear packing tape to strap them to the angled base to stabilize the document holder.

4.    Voila!  A non-tippy stand to hold your paper or item to be entered into a laptop.

THIRD IDEA:  Create a door stop!


1.    Cover two or four medium to large wood stamp blocks of the same size, wrap them with decorative paper.
2.    I glued three blocks together and let dry.


3.    I wrapped them together as one piece, added ribbon, and glued a layer of felt on the bottom of the stack.
4.    You can decorate the top of your door stop with multi-dimensional bling or decor.
5.    I have a couple of doors that keep drifting open, and this makes a nice doorstop.


FOURTH IDEA:   Create “lifts” for various stamp-related supplies in a file cabinet.


1.    I’m lucky to have a legal size file cabinet next to my desk in my art studio.  I store various boxes of pens, brushes, paper and stencils in the drawer for handy access to my desk.  Sometimes, I want the items up higher in the drawer, so I used my excess wood blocks as “lifters”, which gets them up where I can best reach them. I just arrange a smooth surface with the blocks, and store my art supply boxes on top of the wood blocks.

2.    If you have narrow wood blocks, they can be wrapped with paper, and tucked behind stamp pads to keep them from getting pushed too far back in your stamp pad shelves.

HAVE FUN CREATING USEFUL AND HELPFUL ITEMS IN YOUR HOME USING RECYCLED EMPTY WOOD BLOCKS FROM YOUR FORMER WOOD-MOUNTED STAMPS!  Please bring in your wood block creations or a photo to share with Art ’n Soul!

If you missed Part I of this fun technique, you can read about it on our blog here.  In addition, all of Marj’s great projects are on display at Art ‘n Soul so please come by to see them in person. 

While you visiting the store, be sure to check out the class boards to see samples from all the great classes we have scheduled for you in May, June and July.  We have a great variety of classes coming up so there is truly something for everybody!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Please visit us again soon.