Friday, May 19, 2017

Technique of the Week: Fun With Oxide Inks by Marj Marion

We all seem to love the Oxide Inks, and here is a quick and fun card, which can be made with many variations.


by Marj Marion

I chose to use Bristol paper because it is super smooth and easy to sponge inks on the nice, smooth surface. For this card, I chose Oxide Faded Jeans, Oxide Spiced Marmalade, and Oxide Cracked Pistachio.


Die cut panel with Magenta TM179 Bubble Path Template

I die cut a panel of Bristol paper using the Lawn Fawn Large Stitched Rectangle dies, using the largest die in the set. You can use any rectangle die set and create a panel to your desired size, or cut your own rectangle with your paper trimmer.



I used Ranger Foam Applicators to apply the inks through Magenta Template 179-Bubble Path, and positioned the template so the bubbles appeared from upper left to lower right.  



I taped off some bubbles and just inked the ones that fit my panel.  I touched the foam to the ink pad, and then lightly touched it to a scrap paper to remove any excess ink.  You want a light application of ink to create nice even circles of ink, with no dark splotches.  



You can add more ink if you want darker circles. I removed and cleaned the template.


Next, I dipped the ends of my small paint brushes in some water, and dabbed droplets of water on the inked bubbles. To create tiny droplets, I dipped a toothpick in water and touched the water to the inked ares. To speed things along, I dried the water droplets with the Heat It embossing tool. The water reacted with the ink, and formed interesting water marks.

Panel shown with completed stamping; details below
When the panel was completely dry, I placed the cling Magenta Doodle Branch stamp on an acrylic block, 


and stamped the image twice with black Versafine ink. 


I arranged the Magenta word stamps  “Always”, “Be Happy”, and “Be Grateful” on my MISTi lid.   The strong magnets held my paper in the correct position, and the top edge of the triangle spacer allowed me to get a consistent angle on the two lower words. 


I stamped all three words in Versafine black ink at the same time using the MISTI.


To finish the card, I adhered my decorated panel onto a green panel, and then to a folded blue card. Using Ranger Multi Medium Matte, I adhered three sequins for a little extra “zing”.

Try this card layout using different colors of Oxide ink colors, and change up the images or words. 

Here is another tip!  If you really like an arrangement of multiple images or word stamps, and want to be able to re-create it later, make a template on card stock and keep it in a clear card sleeve.  Then, weeks or months later, just place your template in the Misti, and you can easily position your stamps in the exact placement of your original card design.

Here is a variation of this card design.  I used Oxide Inks in Broken China, Fossilized Amber and Wilted Violet, and instead of sequins, I tapped the ink pads on a craft sheet and added a spritz of water.  Then I dipped a small paint brush in the diluted ink, and splattered droplets on the panel.

by Marj Marion

Notice that I made three small dots with a Sharpie black marker after the word “Always”. I held the marker upright to get a nice round “dot” mark.

And, finally, here is another version using Magenta Flower C-0354.I , with more Oxide Inks in Spiced Marmalade, Worn Lipstick and Cracked Pistachio, and used the same ink splattering technique.  You will note that I used the same stamping of the words, as I had them attached on my Misti lid.  You can see that you can speed up your stamping of multiple card fronts by using a set arrangement of word stamps in your Misti.

by Marj Marion

Have fun using Oxide Inks along with stamps and templates and the MISTI!


Here are the supplies I used on this card:
  • Magenta: Doodle Branch C 37.286 J; Always C 07.875.F; Be Grateful C 07.840 E; Be Happy! C 07.653 E; Bubble Path Duo Template 179.
  • Lawn Fawn:  LF  767-Large Stitched Rectangles.
  • Ranger Oxide Distress Inks: Faded Jeans, Spiced Marmalade, Cracked Pistachio.
  • Tim Holtz Spritzer,Wood handled sponge Applicators, Heat Tool.
  • Standard MISTI, and Creative Corners Set.
  • Bristol Paper-100# , Versafine Black Ink, assorted sequins.



SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Please visit us again soon.