Friday, May 27, 2016

Technique of the Week: More Fun With Vellum

This week I’m showing you another fun way to color vellum. With this technique you can make an easy, fast card that has beautiful pops of color. I got this from Jennifer McGuire, and changed it up just a little.

You will need dye based ink, vellum, stamps, Versamark, and white embossing powder. I think White Diamond embossing powder would work very well for this also, but I needed to make some sympathy cards, and I didn’t want them to be too sparkly. I used Distress inks for this because at 60 colors, they have a huge range of colors to choose from, and they worked very well. For stamps I used Magenta Dogwood Branch 0643.P and With Sympathy 07.928.I. 

I took a piece of 48# vellum and cut it to 4” x 6”. I scored it at 5” and made a flap to fasten it around the top of the mat card after I finished coloring and stamping. I used the Distress cubes to add the color, since you can color smaller areas with them. Using the Wilted Violet color first, I rubbed the pad directly onto the vellum.    

I then rubbed the color with a clean cloth until it was no longer shiny and wet. I did this in different sections with each of the three colors.

Making sure the panel was dry, using my new mini MISTI (LOVE), I stamped the Dogwood Branch, and the sentiment onto the now colored vellum with Versamark ink. I embossed the stamping with JudiKins White Opaque embossing powder.

To enhance the Dogwood Branch image, I colored the inside of the dogwood petals with a white Prismacolor pencil. I went over the top of the coloring with a Wink of Stella clear glitter marker for just a touch of shimmer.

I made two more cards in this same way, using the same stamps, but different colors. They were amazingly fast and easy to do.

To finish the cards, I attached the panels to a piece of cardstock cut to 5.25” x 4”.  For the green/blue and the blue/purple ones, I used white as the backing, but for the orange/pink/blue one, I found that a piece of orange Stardream looked the best. I folded the scored flap over the top of the mat and attached it with scor tape. I put a little vellum tape along the sides and bottom of the colored panel. The entire matted pieces were attached to a base cards, which were cut and scored to an A2 size. 

For more step-by step pictures, plus close-up photos of each card, please go to my Backporch blog post here.

In our last order to Penny Black, Susie got a die called "Out to Sea." She recently made a couple of cards, and we wanted to share them with you here. We are taking paid pink sheet orders because everyone who sees these cards in person wants this beautiful die. We have taken some photos of them for you, but you should really see them in person, since the photos don't really do them justice. Many people think that the one that was cut from white is an embossed stamp.

It's not embossed, it's a die! Glossy paper was used, and the color in the background is alcohol ink, as is the color in the foreground of the one below.

Yes, it's one die. We think these cards are beautiful and elegant, and would make great guy cards!


Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Please visit us again soon.