Friday, September 8, 2017

Technique of the Week: More Beautiful Distress Oxide Backgrounds by Marj Marion

Recently, I was wanting to make a lot of background panels, and of course, reached for my Distress Oxide Inks!  Instead of just using a spritz of water to create those wonderful splats and splotches, I had the idea of spritzing the painted panels with both my  water spritzer, and then with my my 91% Isopropyl Alcohol spritzer.  I loved the results!! 


The process is shown in the first two steps, and then photos of my results. You can try other percent formulas of rubbing alcohol, but 91% from the drug store is what I used.


Step 1. On a craft mat, tap 2-3 colors of Oxide Distress inks, and spritz the ink with water.  Use a watercolor brush (I like a Round #10 or a 3/4” Wash brush) to paint the water-spritzed ink onto watercolor paper. 


Step 2.  Then, spritz a little water on the panel, followed by a spritz of 91% Isopropyl Alcohol.  It immediately formed a cool little splotchy design!
You can blot off any excess, or let it dry as is.  I didn’t blot most of the samples, but just let them dry.

Here are my results:

Blue Examples:  I used Oxide Faded Jeans, Twisted Citron and Salty Ocean, plus some regular Distress in Peacock Feathers. 


Red/Pink Examples:  I used Oxide Picked Raspberry, Wilted Violet and Candied Apple.


Fall Examples:  I used Oxide Spiced Marmalade, Wild Honey and Vintage Photo. For some reason, the Alcohol didn’t form many droplets with these particular colors on the top panel in the photo.  The lighter panel was made by swiping a watercolor panel on the left over inks on my craft mat, and then spritzing with alcohol. Both panels will be fun to use with fall themed stamps.


I hope you will enjoy this technique! You could even paint a full sheet of watercolor paper, and do the spritzing on the whole thing, and then cut it into various sized panels for your cards. 

Art 'n Soul should be stocked up with most of the 24 colors of Distress Oxide as of our delivery from Ranger today! 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Please visit us again soon.