Thursday, July 7, 2016

Technique of the Week: DIY Storage Rack for Distress Inks


This fabulous DIY Technique for creating a storage rack for Distress inks is by Marj Marion!


Distress Storage Rack by Marj Marion


Part of the art of stamping is continually finding better ways to store our (ahem!) growing number of supplies, right? I have a rack with shelves that holds my Memento and Archival Ink pads. For some time, I have stored my Distress Ink Pads stacked up on top of this rack. However, I was always piling them up, trying to reach the ones I wanted, and decided it was time for a better storage solution!

I researched commercial racks online, but decided to try my hand at making one that would exactly fit my space and needs. The basic structure was made with black foam board pieces, glued together with a hot glue gun. Here is a list of the tools I used to build this storage rack. 



*black foam board
*hot glue gun and glue sticks
*long, sturdy metal ruler
*pencil
*Walnut Hollow Professional Hot Knife - you can order this from Art ’n Soul!

I didn’t think to take step by step photos of my project (hindsight is SO good, right?), but the photograph shows the finished project.

I measured my space available, measured my Distress Ink Pads, and proceeded!  I made each shelf 2-3/4” deep so the ink pads would stick out just slightly for easy reaching or “grabbing”.

I didn’t want the rack to be too tall, as I wanted to be able to reach all the pads from a seated position at my desk. I made slots for 56 Distress Ink pads, and store a few of my less frequently used colors in another space.

The hot knife was invaluable in cutting through the foam board very easily. I cut on top of a strong piece of glass for the most ease in cutting. I made the shelves 26-3/4” by 2-3/4”.

The small spacers measured 7/8” by 2-3/4”. The sides were 12” by 3-1/2”, and the back panel measured 26”-3/4”. This allowed for the open area at the top of the rack, which can hold a few of my favorite Distress Refills, and also a display of my favorite Distress Ink color combinations.

The Process:
1. I started by cutting all the shelf pieces.
2. Starting with the bottom shelf, I glued on the spacers, using the hot glue gun.
3. Then, I applied hot glue to the tops of all the spacers, and quickly pressed on the next horizontal shelf piece. I had to work quickly to keep first glue from setting up as I worked my way down the spacers.
4. Now it was time to glue on spacers to the second shelf piece, again with hot glue.
5. I continued in this way with all 8 shelves.  I used the ink pads to determine spacing.
6. Sometimes, I had excess hot glue dripping down, creating “blobs” of glue.  To remove them,
I used the hot knife again, trimming (melting) any excess hot glue away.
7. After completing my eight shelves, I glued on the side pieces and then the back piece.
8.  I’ll admit there are slight imperfections with measurements and gluing, but most of these are
hidden, and don’t interfere with the functionality of the rack.
9.  After putting my rack in place, I put two extra narrow foam board pieces under the front edge to help the rack tip back slightly, and further secure the pads in their slots.

10.  I’m really pleased with my rack, the easy access to so many pads that I use so often.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Please visit us again soon.