Friday, July 22, 2016

Everything is Better with Glitter!


This week’s technique features one of my favorite products – Elizabeth Craft’s Silk Microfine Glitter.  It’s also a very quick card to put together.  It’s a good way to use leftover pieces of watercolor panels that you’ve colored with Nuance, too.  This card was inspired by a technique I saw on a blog post by Jennifer McGuire.  If you have never watched any of her videos I really encourage you to check them out at her web page:  JenniferMcGuireInk.com.

To start with I selected a piece of watercolor paper that I had colored with Aquamarine, Purple and Cerulean Blue.  This technique works best if the Nuance colors are dark so they will show up through the glitter.  I cut the panel to 4 ¼” x 5 ½”. 

I needed a die that would cover the card and provide areas to let the glitter shine.  I selected the Memory Box Reverse Butterfly Collage (#99145) but there are many dies that would work great with this technique.  To die cut the butterflies I used a piece of Constellation Jade Wave Embossed Metallic paper cut to 4 ¼” x 5 ½” because I thought the subtle waves in the paper enhanced the feel of floating butterflies.

Next I cut a piece of Scor-Tape paper to 4 ¼” x 5 ½”. 

I removed the backing sheet of the Scor-Tape and placed it on top of the Nuance paper. 


Using the backing paper I rubbed the front and back of the Nuanced piece to ensure the Scor-Tape was firmly adhered. 

I peeled off the top sheet of the Scor-Tape then lined up the die cut of the butterflies and pressed it in place using the backing sheet from the Scor-Tape.

I set the panel on a piece of wax paper and covered it with Cool Diamond Elizabeth Craft Silk Microfine Glitter. 
I rubbed the glitter into the open areas of the die cut to push the glitter into the tape and then tapped off the excess. 
I used the backing sheet from the Scor-Tape to burnish the glitter well – the more you push the glitter down into the tape, the greater the shine from the glitter.   
You can buff off the excess with a Swiffer cloth and then pour the excess glitter back into the jar.To finish, I decided to trim the panel down to 4” x 5 ¼”. 


I had some scraps of Black Style So Silk paper so I stamped Magenta’s “Dream” stamp (#07.933.D) with VersaMark and then embossed with Judikins Opaque White embossing powder. 


I cut a piece of Fashion Purple So Silk Paper to 4 ¼” x 5 ½” and adhered it to an A2 card front.  I adhered the card panel to the upper left corner of the card front.  I trimmed the sentiment as shown in the picture and adhered it to the card with a piece of foam tape to provide dimension. 


I added a few sequins and the card was done.  The microfine glitter really adds beautiful sparkle and highlights the Nuance colors. 

This technique works great with snowflake dies too, for all of you who are getting a head start on your Christmas cards!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Please visit us again soon.