Friday, June 10, 2016

Playing with Yupo Paper and Alcohol Inks




This week's Technique of the week features a very fun product that is fairly new to Art ‘n Soul - Yupo paper.  Ever since Tim Holtz demo’d this wonderful paper at the CHA we have been fascinated by the properties.  

Yupo has been around for a long time but Ranger now packages 10 pieces of 5"x7" paper for $10.25 which is much more affordable than the pads of paper that sell for around $25.00.  Yupo is actually a synthetic paper made from plastic; it's very smooth and it's a great medium for  alcohol inks.  Since Yupo is made from plastic it won’t buckle when you introduce liquid like alcohol inks or watercolors.  However, since it is super smooth, it easily picks up the oils from your hands so try not to handle the paper very much.  There are a number of demos available on YouTube that demonstrate how various mediums can be used on Yupo.   



Today’s technique demonstrates the way alcohol inks react on Yupo paper when applied direct to paper.  To begin, I cut a piece of white Yupo to 4” x 5 ¼” and laid it on my Ranger craft mat.  I selected alcohol inks in Pool, Eggplant, Wild Plum, Aqua and the Pearl Fixative. 

Begin with the Pool alcohol ink and put 5-7 small drops on the Yupo in random spots.  It will immediately start spreading out to form larger circles.  The best way to do this is to just touch the tip of your ink to the paper. 


As the color drops expand, you may see the components of the color in the outer ring as the color expands creating what looks like an aura.  


Next, add a few drops of Eggplant and after that has finished expanding, add a few drops of Wild Plum. 


You can also put colors on top of each other; for example, add a drop of Wild Plum on top of the Pool and watch how the colors expand and blend. 


The alcohol dries quickly but can be reactivated by adding more alcohol ink or small drops of alcohol ink blending solution onto the Yupo. 




This is a close up of a section of the paper as the colors
 expand and blend 

While I was dropping colors onto my Yupo, my two kitties came running through the room and startled me.  The result was a lot more ink on my paper than I planned.   Fortunately. Yupo is very, very forgiving and you can continue adding layers of color and Mixatives either with or without the blending solution, until you get the look you want.

Here's the "oops" part of my project where I ended up
with lots more ink on my Yupo than I planned thanks to
my two playful kitties!

I had a few white spaces left on the paper so I put some aqua alcohol ink on a felt blending pad and pounced it all over the paper.  This also blended the darker colors a bit.  I added more aqua ink to the felt pad as needed.  Next I put drops of the Pearl Mixative on the felt pad along with a small drop of blending solution and pounced all over the paper.  I added more Pearl Mixative and blending solution as needed until I was happy with the results. 


I decided to use this piece as a background for my card.  


Last Christmas I bought the Poppy Massa Leaf Frame (#1021) for my Christmas cards and I've been looking for another opportunity to use it.  I die cut it out of my favorite color of So Silk - Glamour Green. 


 Next I stamped the Memory Box sentiment "Happiest" (C2078C) with VersaMark on white cardstock that was cut to 1 7/8" square.  I embossed it with Ranger Black Sparkle embossing powder and shaded the outer edges lightly using a sponge blender and Distress Mermaid Lagoon ink. 

I cut another piece of So Silk Glamour Green to 4” x 5 ¼” and adhered it to the front of an A2 card.  I trimmed the Yupo paper to 3 ¾” x 5” and adhered that to the front of the A2 card.  Next I adhered the Massa Leaf die cut to the front of the card.  I cut a piece of fun foam slightly smaller than the square sentiment; adhered it to the back of the sentiment and then adhered it to the square opening of the die cut.  I added a few iridescent sequins using Ranger Matte Adhesive. 


Yupo also die cuts beautifully.  This Yupo paper was colored with alcohol inks in red, yellow and oranges.  Gold Mixative was pounced all over the paper and then it was die cut with the Penny Black Medallion Die (51-211.)  



The colors of the alcohol ink stay very clear and vibrant on the Yupo.  


These are examples of alcohol ink applied directly to Yupo without any additional Mixatives or blending solution added.  Don't these designs just beg to be Zentangled?



I really hope you will try this technique.  I have to warn you though, this technique can be addictive!   My project didn't go the way I expected but I was still happy with the final results.  We'd love to see your creations!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Please visit us again soon.