Friday, August 25, 2017

Technique of the Week: More Fun with Gilding Flakes by Pam Nelson


This week's Technique shows another way to use the Nuvo Gilding Flakes.  This time I've used Stick It Adhesive, along with a die cut, to add beautiful shine to a Thank you card.




To begin I cut a piece of white 80# cardstock to 5 1/4" x 4 1/2".  I also cut a piece of Stick It adhesive to the same dimension and adhered it to the piece of cardstock.  I rubbed a bone folder all over the Stick It side of the cardstock to ensure it was adhered thoroughly.  I removed the cover sheet from the Stick It, exposing the adhesive and set it, sticky side up it in a plastic tub.  I began tapping Sunkissed Copper Gilding flakes all over the piece of cardstock.  



The flakes are so lightweight that they stick to the adhesive very easily.  



When the entire piece was covered I started rubbing off the excess with my fingers.  



After the big pieces were removed, I used a small piece of Cut & Dry foam to burnish the entire surface.  I left it in the plastic tub during this process so all the little flakes and bits were captured.  You can also use a stencil brush for this step.  Just move the flat side of the brush in a circular motion across the flakes until all the excess has been removed.  If you end up with any stray bits of flakes outside your container, a Swiffer cloth cleans them up very quickly.  



I cut the copper piece with the Penny Black Medallion die (#51-211.)  



The die set also contains a small medallion for the center which I also die cut from the copper.  (You could also cut the small medallion from contrasting paper but for this project I just wanted to add dimension.)



I cut the sentiment from Poppy Stamps Spectacular Thank You die (#1755) out of the copper twice.  I decided that I wanted to layer them for some added dimension on the card.  I used my Pico fine tip glue applicator to apply glue to the back of one thank you die cut and adhere it to the front of the second thank you die cut.  I also adhered the small medallion to the center of the large medallion.  



With that part complete I decided to use alcohol inks for my background.  I thought the copper would stand out nicely against the vibrant colors you get when using alcohol inks on Yupo paper.  I cut a piece of Yupo paper to 5 1/4" x 4" and then applied turquoise, patina, amethyst inks along with a bit of copper mixative.  I used the felt applicator to pounce the colors over the paper until I achieved the color I wanted.  If you are new to alcohol inks on Yupo paper or want a quick refresher, check out this blog post from April 7, 2016 here.



To assemble my card I cut a piece of Fashion Purple So Silk to 5 1/2" x 4 1/4" and adhered it to the front of an A2 card.  I used the fine tip glue applicator to apply glue to the back of the die cut and then adhered it to the Yupo paper.  Next I trimmed the edges of the die cut so they were even with the edges Yupo paper, then adhered it to the front of the card.  I used my Pico fine tip applicator to apply glue to the back of the Thank You die cut and then positioned it on the front of the card.  I finished off the card by adding some clear gem embellishments (or you could also use sequins.)


You can see the card on display at Art ‘n Soul So I hope you will stop by soon.  This card came together very quickly.   When working with the Gilding Flakes, I tend to make several pieces at once.  They can be messy, but they are so much fun!  Clean up really is a breeze with Swiffer cloths or a hand vacuum.  It's easy to use multiple colors as well to get a multi-color metallic look.  The Nuvo Gilding Flakes come in three colors Radiant Gold, Silver Bullion and Sunkissed Copper.  Stay tuned for more ideas with this fun product.

What's New?
We have sent orders to our distributor for lots of products, including Nuvo drops, Distress Oxides, Gilding Flakes, and lots more! We have also sent orders to Ranger for more Tim Holtz Platforms and more of the 2nd release of Oxides. We have sent orders to Penny Black, Magenta (we will be getting in lots of Nuance), and a HUGE order to Memory Box! We can't wait to get all of these things in our hands. We don't know when yet, but stay tuned to our blog, email and Facebook.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Please visit us again soon.