Friday, August 4, 2017

Technique of the Week: Nuance Spin Art by Dianne Johnson

One of our customers at Art 'n Soul, Sue Wright, brought this technique to me, and agreed to let me use it for Technique of the Week. Sue brought in a salad spinner and we made some backgrounds then and there.



This is a perfect fun art project for kids and grandkids. It's fun and the mess is contained pretty well.

It's a good idea to obtain a used salad spinner from the local thrift store. I preferred not to use the salad spinner that I use for food. Some of the spinners don't have an enclosed bottom to them. If you get one like this, you can place it onto a paper plate or bowl so that the mess would be contained.

To begin, Sue said to get some poster putty, make a donut from it, and place it in the center of the spinner basket. This serves two purposes: first it levels the center which usually has a small bump; second is that when you place your watercolor cardstock into the basket, it will stick down to the putty.

In playing with this technique, I used several different papers, including Bristol and Strathmore watercolor paper. I liked how the color moved the best with the Tim Holtz watercolor cardstock.

I tapped Nuance powder onto the cardstock after placing it into the basket and pressing it down not the putty. I then sprayed the cardstock liberally with water. You can use plain water, or water mixed with Perfect Pearls powder.

I put the top on the spinner quickly and spun it as fast as I could.
The pattern that I got at first was pretty, but I wanted a little more color in the center. I tapped more of the Scarlet Nuance into the center, sprayed and spun it again.

I love how it turned out! I like how you can keep adding powder, spraying and spinning until you get something you really like. The panel said "celebrate" to me.

To make my card, I let it dry naturally, although you could hurry the drying with a heat tool. I die cut the panel with the Die-namics MFT-483 Blueprints 13 die. I stamped the Magenta Graceful Poppies stamp and the Happy Birthday sentiment with Versafine Onyx Black ink. To accentuate the "celebrate" look of the card, I stamped the Magenta Flowery Ink Spot stamp several times on the panel with Distress Barn Door ink.

I mounted the panel onto a piece of Black So Silk cardstock and then adhered it to a base card of Neenah Solar White 110# cardstock.

I shared this technique with the staff, and we got together and had a great deal of fun spraying and spinning.
One of the things I did when the staff got together to make these is to wipe out the spinners on many of the staff's panels with paper towels. I got beautiful paper towels from this.
Some of you may remember what I do with beautifully colored paper towels. You can make gorgeous  patterned cardstock with these. You can look at how to do this here on my blog on a technique called Upcycled Paper Towel.

I made another card with a second piece that I made with blues and purples. This time I used a Memory Box die, Snowy Cabin 99785. LOVE this little die! If you want one, be sure to order it soon because our catalog sale will only be open a little longer.



For the sentiment I used a favorite Magenta stamp, 07.457.H Peace on Earth.

For full details and materials lists on both cards, as well as step by step photos, please visit my Backporch blog here.

What's New at Art 'n Soul:
IT'S RECYCLED RUBBER WEEKEND THIS WEEKEND!! Come in out of the heat and smog and spend some time at Art 'n Soul scooping up on some amazing bargains! We have seen so much great stuff come in, including a massive tower of Stampin Up inks, lots of dies, punches and stamps, including some really good, barely used cling stamps that you will love! We have heard rumors that someone is bringing in some card racks and House Mouse stamps also. You do not want to miss this Recycled Rubber sale!

The first 25 of the Tim Holtz platforms are due to be delivered to us today. If you are one of the lucky first 25, you will be called when they arrive. We are ordering more! If you don't have to have it immediately, please order through us. We also want to thank all of you who have ordered the platforms and other new items through us. We know that some people may have been able to get them faster from an online company. We can't compete with them, and really appreciate your loyalty and patience more than you know. You keep us going!

The Memory Box and Poppy catalogs were opened in conjunction with Pam's mini class on July 30, and will stay open only a short time longer, so make your lists and order with us. Their new collection includes many Holiday dies. You can see them online here and here.

We are looking forward to the Sally Penley Holiday Mini Masterpiece classes on August 12. These classes are full, and if you missed your chance to get it, please go ahead and sign up on the wait list. You never know what might happen, and you may be able to get in. It doesn't cost anything to get on the wait list.



If you did not receive our newsletter this week, you can access the latest newsletter here and our calendar here. Be sure to check out all of the upcoming classes! Lynell Harlow, founding member of Dreamweaver Stencils will be here teaching 4 different fabulous classes on the 18th, 19th, and 20th. These are always a hit! 

Linda Presley of Rosie's Roadshow will also be here in September with a new and completely adorable class for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Please visit us again soon.