Friday, August 26, 2016

Technique of the Week: Use Those Napkins


How many of you have a stash of some beautiful napkins that you have collected over the years to use with various techniques for your cards?  I know I have a stack of them that I just can part with.  I was recently watching a video by Els of Elizabeth Crafts.  She suggested using the Elizabeth Crafts Silk Microfine Glitter on napkins so I thought I’d give it a try.


I went through my stash of napkins and found one that would work well on a 5 ½” square card.  I separated the three layers of the napkin and cut one square of the napkin for my card.  I cut a piece of white card stock to about 7” x 7” and used a glue stick to cover it with glue. 
I adhered the napkin layer to the piece of cardstock and smoothed it out so there were no wrinkles in the napkin. 


I cut several strips of wide Scor-Tape and placed it over the napkin, covering the entire surface. 
I used a bone folder to smooth it out and ensure it was firmly adhered to the napkin.  I removed the top layer of the Scor-Tape and placed the piece on some wax paper (you could also use a coffee filter.) 


I sprinkled Elizabeth Craft Cool Diamond Silk Microfine Glitter over the entire surface and spread it around with my finger to ensure it was covered.  I tapped off the excess glitter and returned it to the jar. 
I used the cover sheet from the Scor-Tape to burnish the glitter, pushing it into the adhesive.  You can also use a bone folder for this. 
The more you burnish the glitter, the greater the shine. 

Elizabeth Craft Silk Microfine Glitter comes in number of colors to include Warm and Cool Diamond.  The Cool Diamond that I used on this project has a slightly blue tone to it and works well on projects with blues, purples, etc.  The Warm Diamond glitter has a slight rose tone to it and works well on reds, oranges, etc.


I trimmed the napkin down to the size I wanted for my finished card.  This particular napkin had a natural edge on it that I trimmed around. 
I mounted the napkin on a piece of 5” square Glamour Green So Silk paper.  I then adhered the piece to a square of 5 ¼” square Fashion Purple So Silk paper and lastly adhered them to a 5 ½” square card.  I used the new Grape Soda Enamel Accents in the corners. For the sentiment I cut a tag using the second smallest die from the MFT Die-Namics Stitched Traditional Tag Stax (MFT-525) and stamped it with a sentiment from the Penny Black Special Thoughts stamp set (#30-338).  I shaded it slightly with Distress Twisted Citron.  I cut a piece of foam tape slight smaller than the tag and adhered it to the back of the sentiment.  I adhered it to the front of the card and added a couple of highlights with Pink Gumball Enamel Accents. 

This was a fairly quick and easy card and provides another way to use up those beautiful napkins.  You can see the card at Art ‘n Soul and I hope you will give it a try.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Please visit us again soon.