Friday, February 19, 2016

Masking with Nuance


This week’s technique features another fun way to use the beautiful Magenta Nuance powders.  I masked off the stamped image and then added Nuance, leaving the stamped image white.  Here’s a list of the materials I used for this card (and everything but the bleach is available at Art ‘n Soul!):

Magenta Bohemian Flower (85.008.O)
Magenta Merci (07.623.G)
Versamark Ink
Judikins Gold Detail embossing powder
Stamping Mask Paper
Nuance colors Turquoise, Raspberry, Cerulean Blue (and Grass Green for the leaves)
Perfect Pearls
Water brush with bleach
Wink of Stella
Scrap of ribbon

First, I stamped the Magenta Bohemian Flower twice on a piece of 4 ¼” x 5 ½” watercolor paper with Versamark and then embossed with Judikins Gold Detail embossing powder.  I taped this to my work surface to keep the paper from buckling when I added the Nuance and water.  


To create the mask I stamped the Bohemian flower twice on the white side of a piece of Stamping Mask Paper.  I cut out the flowers and then removed the blue protective sheet.  I then placed the flower mask on each of the stamped images and pressed firmly to make sure the paper adhered to the watercolor paper.  (I apologize about the quality of the next few pictures here!  They looked okay on my phone but not so great when I put them on the blog.)

I sprinkled Nuance over the project and then sprayed with water mixed with Perfect Pearls.  I used a small watercolor brush to move the color around to the edges of the embossed image. 







I blotted off extra water with a paper towel where it pooled and added more colors and water until I was satisfied with the look.    


When the image was dry, I lightly painted the stems using a water brush filled with bleach to lift the color.  When that was dry I put a small bit of Grass Green Nuance on my craft sheet, spritzed with lightly with water and used a small watercolor brush to paint the stems.


On a small scrap of watercolor paper I stamped Magenta’s Merci stamp with Versamark and embossed with Judikins Gold Embossing powder.  I used the same Nuance colors as on the base card but after spraying with water mixed with Perfect Pearls, I blotted with a paper towel almost immediately to keep the background light.  I trimmed it and rounded the corners.

After removing the tape from the base, I trimmed it and added a piece of ribbon for the sentiment.  I layered it on a piece of So Silk Beauty Pink and then mounted to an A2 card.  I attached the sentiment.  For an added bit of sparkle I highlighted parts of the flowers with clear Wink of Stella.  

I hope you will try this card.  Yes, there are several steps but it was fun to do.  It would work especially well for stamps that have matching die sets because you wouldn’t have to hand cut the stamp mask.

There’s still time to enter our Nuance contest.  We’ll be taking entries until February 25th and the prize is a $10 gift certificate to your favorite store, Art ‘n Soul!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Please visit us again soon.