Friday, November 11, 2016

Technique of the Week: "FINDERS" - Keepers! Technique by Marj Marion


I love dies and sentiment/quote stamps, and recently created a fun way to easily plan and coordinate using both these art tools together.  Here are the steps I followed to find just the right die to create appropriate sized openings for quote, or alternately, to create a stamped panel with a quote.

By Marj Marion

1. I folded an 8.5” by 11” black 60# paper in half, and glued the two sides together to form a firm paper base for the templates.

2. Next, I looked through my rectangle, square, oval and circle dies and selected the two or three smallest dies from each set. I cut each one through the sturdy template paper, grouping several that fit together on one template.


3. To help me locate the dies while doing future projects, I labeled each template with the correct corresponding die name.

4. For a wood stamp, I hold the template over the wood, checking the size to find just the right die to create an opening or a panel for the sentiment.





5. For my cling stamps, I find it easiest to stamp out the sentiment on a scrap of paper and then use the template over that stamped sentiment to check the size.




6. If you are making multiple cards, you can use the MISTI for quick production of many stamped sentiments.





7. Next, I cut the openings in my card. Using the selected dies, I place them on the card front in a pleasing arrangement, secure with removable tape, and cut the openings.

8. Then, I stamp my sentiments on the desired paper to place under the opening. Note that you can stamp on solid color paper, decorative paper, Nuance prepared paper, and more. Put adhesive on the back of the aperture, and then align your trimmed sentiment and press in place. Prepare a panel to cover the adhered sentiment, and glue to the inside of the card front.

9. A quick variation is to fill the larger aperture with decorative or handmade paper.


by Marj Marion


10. I made two cards on which I used my templates to select the appropriate size dies to create openings for my sentiments.

You can visit the store to view the cards, and the templates, and see the list of products used on the cards.

I hope you will try this technique and enjoy using your dies and sentiments in creative ways on your cards.


Products Used:

Card #1
Magenta Stamps: Joy to the World 07.958.H
Merry Christmas 07.462.I (inside card)
Magenta Nuance in Blues and Purples
Die-namics Inside & Out Stitched Square Stax MFT850
Die-namics Inside & Out Stitched Oval Stax MFT846
Impression Obsession Pine Branch DIE021-N
Versafine Imperial Purple ink
Misc. sequins
Ranger Multi Medium matte

Card #2
Impression Obsession stamp A13112 blessed to call you friend
Die-namics Inside & Out Stitched Rectangle Stax MFT847
Versafine Onyx Black ink
Decorative paper
Misc. sequins
Ranger Multi Medium matte


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! Please visit us again soon.